Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Special Occasions


"Start living now. Stop saving the good china for that special occasion. Stop withholding your love until that special person materializes. Every day you are alive is a special occasion. Every minute, every breath, is a gift from God."
--
Mary Morrissey

MAKE EVERYDAY A SPECIAL OCCASION! Wear your new outfit to the grocery store if you feel like it. Tell the people you love that you love them, even if it's not Valentine's day. Wear your favorite expensive perfume instead of saving it for something special. Use the crystal glasses instead of the paper cups more often. Too often we wait for "special occasions" to do the things we love, or the things we've been wanting to do. Far too often that special occasion doesn't come enough or doesn't come at all!

When I was little me and my mom used to love this special brand of white hot chocolate. I remember drinking it with her sometimes when I couldn't sleep. It was delicious!! And then they must have discontinued it because we stopped seeing it in grocery stores. Years later when I was away at school, I saw this white hot chocolate powder mix at a bookstore so I got excited and bought some to bring home for my mom for Christmas that year. This was four Christmases ago! It's a small box, probably like 4 packages of mix in it, so her and I decided that we had to drink it together and that we would save it for a special occasion. When I went home this past weekend for Thanksgiving I looked up and saw the box of hot chocolate mix on top of the fridge unopended! Four years later and we are still waiting for a "special occasion." Mom - we are drinking that hot chocolate this Christmas no matter what!!

4 comments:

  1. You make a valid point. Too often we downplay our everyday lives by deeming them "not good" enough for the finer things. I think if we would view each day for what its worth we'd get to experience the special occasions more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is it we have almost a hoarding tendency with not allowing ourselves to enjoy something because of thinking of that elusive future event we're saving it for. I am going to hold you to your word. That white hot chocolate will not go another year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wendy!
    I love your blog. Thank you for the inspirational thoughts. I logged on to be one of your "followers" and look forward to meaningful and encouraging ideass. We all need them; thanks for making a difference!
    love, Aunt Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Judy! I'm glad to have a follower! :) Do you have a blog? Of all people that should have a one, you are definitely one of em - you always have the best stories and tell them so well!!

    ReplyDelete